Many “Manly Gluten-Free Thursdays” have come and gone, but I had yet to make quite possibly the manliest food around – steak. Well, steak lovers, today is your lucky day.
I wanted to try a steak recipe that was pretty simple, but also more than just steak and classic steak sauce. I wanted a sauce that was unique and full of flavor, and when I came upon a mushroom cream sauce, I knew I had to try it.
I followed this recipe from Taste of Home pretty closely, but I made a couple small changes as well. I omitted the chives and used fresh mushrooms instead of mushrooms in a jar. I was really pleased with how well the steaks turned out. For such simple ingredients, the flavor was incredible…
Ingredients (for two):
- 2 top sirloin steaks (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 French onion dip
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Another 1/4 teaspoon pepper (for sauce)
1. Season steaks with salt and pepper.
2. In a grill pan or skillet, grill steaks, covered, over medium heat for about 6-7 minutes a side. If using a meat thermometer, 145° = medium-rare, 160° = medium, and 170° = well-done.
3. In a separate large skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in the canola oil for about 3 minutes.
4. Add in the onion dip, cream, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 3 more minutes, until heated through.
5. Combine the steaks and sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Hopefully everyone enjoyed this installment of Manly Gluten-Free Thursdays. I know my belly did!