I hadn’t thought of making a healthier gluten-free grilled cheese until recently. A regular grilled cheese sandwich is just so simple already. The butter is easy to put on the bread, and it is definitely cheap, but I wanted to coat the bread in something not quite so…fattening. I had already used mayo before, so I got a little crazy and added olive oil to the skillet, warmed it up on medium heat, and coated both sides of each piece of bread with the olive oil. I then added the cheese as I normally would.
So, is this sandwich healthy? No. But it’s not as unhealthy as the normal thing. Maybe a better name for this post would have been “A Less Unhealthy Gluten-Free Grilled Cheese Sandwich”.
- 2 slices gluten-free bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place gluten-free bread in skillet and coat both sides of each piece in the olive oil.
- Add both slices of cheese on top of one piece of bread, then place the other piece of bread on top.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is starting to turn a golden brown. Flip over a continue cooking for a couple more minutes, until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown.
- Remove from heat. Serve with ketchup. Enjoy!