First things first: if you missed my post the other day, I am very excited to announce my first Kindle eBook is now available on Amazon! It features 27 of my favorite “guy-friendly” gluten-free recipes – perfect for March Madness going on right now.
Continuing on my gluten free grilled cheese journey, today we arrive at the “why didn’t I think of this earlier?” Guacamole Grilled Cheese. Basically, what I’ve learned when making these crazy grilled cheese sandwiches, is that you can take pretty much anything that is delicious outside of a grilled cheese (in this case guacamole), add it on to the sandwich, and it makes an amazing recipe every time.
And yes, I like my grilled cheese to be a crispy dark brown. That’s not a mistake. You (yes, you!) will likely want to cook it a little less; more of a golden brown is the standard grilled cheese color. However you like your bread is a personal preference, but I KNOW you are going to like this sandwich no matter what color your bread is!
- (makes two servings)
- For the guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from half of one lime
- The sandwich:
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 4 slices Cheddar or American cheese
- Prepare the guacamole first: cut the avocados in half, and remove the seeds. Use a spoon to scoop out the avocado from the outer peel, and place it in a large bowl.
- Mash the avocado up using a fork. Add in the rest of the guacamole ingredients and stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Take two pieces gluten-free bread and place a slice of cheese on them. Add a thick layer of guacamole on both pieces of cheese.
- Add another slice of cheese on top of the guacamole, then put the other bread slices on top.
- Use a knife to add a thin layer of butter on the outsides of all 4 slices of bread.
- Place on a large skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes per side per sandwich, or until golden brown.
- Cut in half. Serve and enjoy!