If you have been struggling to find a delicious gluten free bread that doesn’t fall apart or taste like cardboard, you’ve come to the right place. When I first went gluten free back in 2010, the gluten free bread selection was limited, and the majority of the brands left me with a bad taste in my mouth – literally. I was shocked that such expensive bread could taste so bad.
Thankfully, it’s 2015 and we now have a much wider selection of gluten free breads to choose from. There are still some stinkers out there, but I think we can agree that the overall quality of the bread is much higher than it was 5 years ago.
Here are five of my favorite gluten free breads available today:
1. New Grains Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread – Not just gluten free, but also free of dairy, soy, and peanuts. New Grains is my new favorite gluten free bread — for starters, each slice only contains 70 calories, which is almost hard to believe. The bread is moist and filling, and most important, it tastes like BREAD. I love making grilled cheese sandwiches with it. Highly recommended.
2. Udi’s White or Whole Grain Sandwich Bread – Yeah, yeah, the occasional holes in the bread confuse the hell outta me too, but don’t overlook trusty ol’ Udi’s. They’ve been around for awhile, and their bread is still as good as ever. If you have a Costco membership, be sure to check out Udi’s restaurant-style GF bread that is much bigger than the regular version.
3. Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free San Juan 7-Grain Bread – Great texture, taste, and consistency. Having recently been introduced to Canyon Bakehouse, my first thought was, “I wish I had discovered this sooner”. If you don’t believe me, check out the reviews on Amazon — out of the 22 total reviews, 21 of them are 5 stars (and the last one gave it 4 stars).
4. Whole Foods Light White Sandwich Bread – The Whole Foods Light White GF Sandwich bread is my favorite bread of theirs. I really like the taste, but it does seem to fall apart easier than the others on this list. All in all, it IS delicious, but I wished it stayed together a little bit more.
5. New Grains Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread – Similar to the New Grains White bread above, the Cinnamon Raisin is perfect for toast in the mornings, or for the occasional snack during the day. While a little more niche than the white bread, the Cinnamon Raisin is sure to be a hit with children and the young at heart!
There you have it – five gluten free breads that are surprisingly good. In fact, I bet if you give any of them to a non-gluten free person that they will enjoy it as well.
So, what’s your favorite gluten free bread? Comment below!