Happy 2013 everyone!
I thought I’d start out the new year with a bang with these delicious and healthy quinoa bowls. I’m always trying to eat healthier, and quinoa is a filling grain with a high protein content that is fantastic when paired with various vegetables. I followed the recipe I found here pretty closely, but I made it vegan by replacing the regular cheese with vegan cheese. These bowls turned out great except for slightly under-cooking the brussel sprouts (hey, I’m still learning). I almost didn’t want to post the recipe because of my mistake, but it turned out very well in spite of the brussel sprouts, so I know you guys will really enjoy it with fully-cooked ones!
There are many ways to cook quinoa, but I will just direct you to this page if you want to learn to cook fluffy, great-tasting quinoa. I used the suggestion of vegetable broth to make it taste better, and it sure did. Also, if your quinoa isn’t already rinsed (it should say on the package), make sure to rinse it in a mesh strainer for a couple minutes to get the bitterness out of it! It will not taste very good if you do not do this.
The first recipe of 2013…
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (2/3 cup uncooked quinoa = 2 cups cooked)
- 1/3 cup Daiya Mozzarella (or other Vegan cheese of your choosing)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, cooked
- 1/2 cup brussel sprouts, roasted
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable broth (for cooking the quinoa)
1. Cook the quinoa and veggies first and set aside. If you are interested in how to prepare them, go here for quinoa, here for brussel sprouts, and here for spinach. (FWIW: I cooked the brussel sprouts for about 7 minutes in a skillet in olive oil over medium heat, then added the spinach for a couple minutes. I would recommend the other methods.)
2. In a large skillet, toss in the pine nuts and cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Remove and put in a small bowl for later.
3. In the same large skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
4. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, slightly over 1 minute.
5. Add the quinoa to the skillet and mix together with the garlic.
6. Once the quinoa is warmed, mix in the vegan cheese, pine nuts, brussel sprouts and spinach. Heat for another 2 minutes or so, until the vegan cheese begins to melt.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Serve and enjoy!