I am really trying to post more often, since I was only churning out about 1-2 posts a month for awhile. As I mentioned in my last post, most of my recipes are going to be in the Gluten Free on a Budget category for the rest of 2013 – meals for two people under $5 total.
This is the ultimate pantry recipe. I was looking through the cupboard for something to make, and pulled out a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of tuna. A quick Google search brought me to this recipe, and I was ready to make the meal.
Now, if you dislike tuna, you aren’t going to magically like this recipe. The tuna is a major part of the recipe. But, if you do appreciate tuna, you will definitely be a fan of this dish.
- -One (5 oz ) can of tuna, water-packed
- -One (8 oz.) box gluten free pasta
- -One (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- -Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion flakes, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Gluten free quinoa pasta usually takes 6-9 minutes to cook. Drain and return to pan when finished.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat crushed tomatoes in a skillet over medium-low heat. When tomatoes are heated through, add the tuna and spices in until tuna is warm, about a minute.
- Mix tomatoes/tuna in with the pasta. Stir together well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cost of the ingredients:
Tuna = $0.89
Crushed Tomatoes = $0.99
GF Pasta = $2.99
Spices = $0.10
Total Meal Cost = $4.97
Whew, barely stayed under $5!