I had some leftover brussel sprouts and wanted to make a pasta dish with them, and I came across a pesto pasta recipe that I thought looked delicious. Making it gluten-free was no problem at all, as I always keep gluten-free pasta on hand for a rainy day since it takes years for it to go bad. If you recall my last recipe with brussel sprouts didn’t turn out as well it as it should have due to me under-cooking them, I decided to cook them in the oven this time. This time they were cooked perfectly!
You could also make this recipe dairy-free by substituting vegan cheese for the mozzarella and making your own pesto without dairy. They might even sell dairy-free pesto some places, though I’ve yet to see it.
On to the recipe!…
- 8 oz gluten-free pasta
- 1/2 lb fresh brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and any bad leaves removed, then sliced in half
- 3 chicken sausage links, sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup pesto sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brush the brussel sprouts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put them in a pan lined with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 18-25 minutes (stir around gently after 10 minutes).
3. While the brussel sprouts are cooking in the oven, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the pasta in and cook according to directions. Put in a large bowl when finished.
4. While the brussel sprouts and pasta are cooking (I know, I’m asking you to do a lot at once!), start cooking the chicken sausages in a grill pan or skillet on medium-high heat. Cook until browned, no red in the center. Cut into 1/4″ pieces after cooking. Set aside.
5. In a small skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat and add pine nuts. Cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic. Continue cooking another minute or two. Remove and put in the large bowl with the pasta.
6. When the brussel sprouts are done cooking, add them to the bowl with the pasta, garlic, and pine nuts. Add the chicken sausage after that.
7. Add the pesto sauce to the bowl and stir around. Toss in about half the mozzarella and stir around, then add the remaining half of the mozzarella on top of everything.
8. Serve and enjoy!