Another Gluten Free on a Budget meal for you today! If you aren’t familiar with the concept yet, GFOAB is me coming up with cheap gluten free meals for two for less than $5. I love saving money on the grocery bill without sacrificing delicious and nutritious meals.
The kid in me loves recipes like this – just a bunch of random ingredients “mashed” together on a plate. Incredibly easy to make, and incredibly tasty to eat. That’s my kind of meal!
I wasn’t really sure what to call the recipe, since it’s kind of nachos, but really it’s a bunch of stuff on top of one another. I remember seeing a similar dish called “Mexican Mess” that used Doritos at the bottom, but last time I checked Doritos contained gluten so I went with traditional corn tortilla chips in mine. Anyways, hope you enjoy the recipe; I know the kids will!
- Two platefuls of corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can Pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can Tomato sauce
- Two handfuls shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 package shredded cheese
- Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. (If using taco seasoning, add according to directions). Drain and set aside.
- On two plates, place chips, cheese, tomato sauce, and beans. Heat in microwave for a minute, or until cheese is melted and beans/tomato sauce are warm.
- Add ground beef and lettuce to the plates.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cost of the ingredients:
Two platefuls of corn tortilla chips = $0.50
1/2 lb of Beef = $1.50
1/2 package of Shredded Cheese = $0.75
Two handfuls of shredded Romaine lettuce = $0.50
Can (15 oz.) of Pinto beans = $0.75
Can (15 oz.) of Tomato sauce = $0.75
(Optional: Taco seasoning for beef)
Total Meal Cost = $4.75