I have talked about how much I love breakfast dishes in many of my past posts. Whether I am cooking tofu, eggs, gluten-free pancakes, or something else, I always seem to be in a positive mood when I am making breakfast meals. And yes, I am one of those people who will make eggs for dinner.
I usually get many of my egg recipe ideas from the Incredible Edible Egg website. I found the motivation for this dairy-free baked eggs and spinach recipe here. I followed it almost exactly except for substituting Daiya cheddar for the regular cheese. Daiya is by far the best vegan cheese I have come across, as it actually melts very similarly to regular cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz. of spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar (you can use regular cheese if you eat dairy)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Divide the spinach evenly four greased 6 oz. custard cups or ramekins.
2. Make a small indentation in the center of the spinach in each of the cups. Place on the baking sheet.
3. Break an egg into each of the indentations. Top evenly with salsa, then with the Daiya cheddar.
4. Place in the already preheated oven and bake for 24-26 minutes. The egg whites should be completely set and the yolks should be starting to thicken.
5. Serve and enjoy!
I thought this baked eggs and spinach dish turned out excellent. I have been trying to eat more spinach and other dark, leafy greens, so this recipe really made it easy to get my veggies for the day. One person could easily eat two or even three of these (OK, I admit I ate three), so plan accordingly if you are cooking for a group of people. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!