Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas/holidays!
Since the gluten-free horseshoe sandwich recipe was such a big hit, even getting it’s own SJ-R article about it, I thought I should post the gluten-free breakfast horseshoe recipe that was in my Manly eBook as well. This is another Central Illinois favorite!
In the regular gluten-free horseshoe recipe, I used white cheddar cheese, which I have always preferred over the yellow. However, the breakfast horseshoes I have eaten from places like Charlie Parker’s and Sunrise Cafe in Springfield used the yellow on theirs so I used it here, too. The yellow cheddar cheese seems to go better with bacon and eggs than the white would.
Breakfast horseshoes are the perfect dish to make on these cold winter mornings when all you wanna do is stay warm and stuff your face with some delicious food.
Ingredients (serves one really hungry person):
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread, toasted
- 2 eggs
- 5 slices of bacon
- 2 cups of tater tots, cooked
- 1 cup of 1% or 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons of gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven and cook the tater tots according to the package. Specific times will vary depending on the brand, but you should definitely put the tater tots in the oven first.
2. Now, comes the cheese sauce. Combine 1/4 cup milk and the gluten-free flour in a saucepan; stir with a whisk.
3. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Put back on the stove at the lowest possible heat setting until time for use.
5. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until nice and crispy on medium heat. Place on paper towels after to get rid of excess fat.
6. Whisk the two eggs together in a bowl. Cook on medium heat in a medium skillet for about 3 minutes, until no longer runny. Remove from heat.
7. Now, that everything is cooked, take your two slices of gluten-free toast and put on a BIG plate.
8. Put the two eggs evenly on the two pieces of bread.
9. Spread the bacon across the eggs and toast and plate.
10. Pour the tater tots on top of everything.
11. Lastly, pour the cheese sauce over everything!
12. Indulge and enjoy the food coma afterwards.