I woke up yesterday in the mood to cook something new and exciting. After a little thought, I decided to go with something I had only eaten once before – BBQ Tofu.
I think the only other time I have ever had a BBQ tofu sandwich was about five years ago when I was still in college. I was in the cafe of a health foods store and saw it on the menu. This was long before I was gluten-free, and I was not even particularly health-conscious at the time either. For some reason, I ordered it – and actually loved it. I have eaten tofu occasionally since then, but never barbecue tofu.
Fast forward to yesterday. I realized I needed to spice up the recipes on This Gluten-Free Life, and what better way to start than with a delicious barbecue tofu recipe?! I looked around online, and decided to do a gluten-free version of this simple recipe on the Vegetarian About website. Since I already had all the ingredients the recipe called for (and the one I was substituting in), I was ready to rock ‘n roll.
The sandwich came out great, even better than I expected. Since Udi’s bread is so small, one sandwich was not enough for me, so I went for two. I always slather a little more BBQ sauce on the tofu after it comes out of the oven, since the rest of it soaks in during the cooking.
Here are the ingredients you are going to need:
- Firm or extra firm tofu
- Your favorite BBQ sauce (make sure it’s gluten free, not all of them are)
- Udi’s gluten-free bread (or other gf bread of your liking)
- Romaine lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Drain your block of tofu, and slice it into 1/2 in. thick cutlets (or however thick you want your BBQ tofu to be).
3. Line a cooking sheet or pan with aluminum foil, and spread a small amount BBQ sauce on it.
4. Place the tofu on the pan. Slather the BBQ sauce on top of it until it is covered completely.
5. Bake for around one hour. The tofu is done when the BBQ sauce looks to be mostly baked in.
6. Toast your Udi’s bread, put the Romaine lettuce on, place your tofu and extra BBQ sauce on it, and enjoy!
There you have it – an easy GF barbecue tofu sandwich. While the cooking itself takes about an hour, this truly is a recipe that even the most clueless (food-wise) guy/gal will be able to make. Hope you guys and gals find it as delicious as I did!