Even though it was smoldering hot in Chicago this week, I was craving some baked beans. While baked beans are usually a winter staple around these parts because they do such a good job of warming you up, I hadn’t had them in awhile and I decided this was my week for cooking my own baked beans for the first time.
This recipe takes over an hour to make, but most of that time is just the beans cooking in the oven. It is still really easy to prepare, and if you already have the ingredients, you can spend about 15 minutes getting it ready and then go and do something else while it cooks in the oven.
I also think this was my first time cooking with butter beans, and I had no idea how big they are. If you don’t want beans that big in yours, I would recommend subbing white kidney beans or pinto beans in for the butter beans. I really had no problem with their size, it was just surprising to me.
All in all, I was extremely happy with how these baked beans turned out. I can’t wait to make them again in the winter!
Ingredients (serves four):
- 1/2 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can of pork and beans
- 1 (16 oz.) can of butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven , cook beef over medium heat until no pink is visible. Drain the excess fat from the pot.
3. Add the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and onion flakes to the pot along with the beef. Stir together.
4. Add the 3 cans of beans and stir together thoroughly.
5. Transfer the beans/meat mixture to a 3-quart greased baking dish. Cover.
6. Cook in preheated oven for about 1 hour. Remove.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!