It had been a long time since I had made a dish with rice and beans in it, so I thought I would add a little something to them and spruce it up. I have been known to eat just rice and beans occasionally, but you don’t need me to tell you how boring that is. Enter: chicken sausage. My new favorite meat, and for good reason – it is amazingly tasty, either on its own or as a component of a larger meal.
My girlfriend recently got a grill at her condo, and we have been cooking chicken sausage on it with asparagus about twice a week. Hey, gotta take advantage of the nice weather while we have it!
Since most people don’t have grills, I just cooked the chicken sausage on the stove for this recipe. If you have a grill, go ahead and use that. I hope everyone finds this recipe to be as good as I did!
Ingredients (serves two):
- Two large chicken sausages
- 1 (15 oz.) can of red kidney beans
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper
1. Cook the 1 cup of brown rice according to the directions on the back of the bag (some brands have different cooking time).
2. While the rice is cooking, in a skillet on medium to medium-high heat, heat up a small amount of olive oil. Add in the chicken sausage. Cook for about 7-8 minutes a side, until cooked through completely. Cut into smaller pieces when the sausage cools down some.
3. When the rice is finished cooking, add in the beans, chicken sausage, and salt and pepper. Stir and heat for another 5 minutes or so.
4. Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!