I was trying to perfect my cheddar cheese sauce using gluten-free all-purpose flour the other day. I had made a number of recipes using the sauce before, but I wanted to make sure the recipe was exactly right before I released my Manly recipe ebook on Kindle. I had some broccoli in the freezer, so combining them seemed like it was meant to be.
If you have kids who aren’t particularly fond of vegetables, this recipe is a great way to kind of “trick” them into thinking they are getting a treat – but still getting the nutritional powerhouse known as broccoli in their bellies. I am huge fan of both broccoli and cheese, so this recipe is right up my alley!
The cheese sauce calls for 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar, which I think is a good amount, but if you like your sauce really cheesy, you can throw some more in there. I also used frozen broccoli that steamed in its bag in the microwave. If you have fresh broccoli, I would recommend steaming it or sauteing it before adding the cheese sauce.
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (or two fresh broccoli crowns, steamed)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook frozen broccoli according to directions on package.
- While frozen broccoli is cooking, combine 1/4 cup milk and the gluten-free flour in a saucepan; stir with a whisk.
- Stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Pour cheese sauce over broccoli.
- Serve and enjoy!