Whenever they discuss the last meal choice of inmates on the news, I sometimes think of what I would eat if I knew I only had one meal left. I would definitely consider pizza, tacos, and burgers, but I am fairly certain mozzarella sticks would find their way into the meal in some capacity. I love the crunchy, cheesy goodness and am happy to share this gluten free recipe with you today!
A few years back, I posted a gluten free vegan mozzarella sticks recipe that was actually one of my first recipe posts. I was pretty happy with how those turned out, but my pictures back then left a little to be desired.
These new mozzarella sticks are everything I want in a recipe: affordable, easy to make, and delicious. With the cold winter keeping us inside, I think today is the perfect day to bring some comfort food back into the diet. Hey, you need a break from those New Year’s resolutions every now and then, right? Okay, enough chatting, let’s get to the good stuff…
- 2 cups gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 lb mozzarella string cheese
- Canola oil
- Marinara sauce
- Heat about 1.5 cups of canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Start with 3 separate large bowls. Whisk together eggs and milk in bowl one. In bowl two, combine the gluten free breadcrumbs with all the herbs and spices. Place the gluten free flour in bowl three.
- Coat each piece of cheese in the flour, then in the egg/milk, then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip into the egg/milk and breadcrumbs a second time, to ensure each piece of cheese is thoroughly coated in breadcrumbs.
- Place each covered cheese piece in the hot oil (use tongs or something else to do this; NOT your hands!). Cook for about 45 seconds to a minute on each side.
- Remove from the oil when they are a dark golden brown and place on a layer of paper towels to soak up the oil.
- Serve with marinara sauce. Enjoy!