After successfully completing 2 weeks on a vegan diet, I went to the store and bought a huge pack of eggs. Eggs have been one of my favorite foods my whole life, and now that I am cooking all the time, I feel like I need to try out all the different possibilities that eggs present. I had never made a baked egg dish before, so since bacon and potatoes are two foods I absolutely love, why not just combine all three and see what happens?!
I found a bacon and potato quiche recipe made by Chandice of glutenfreefrenzy.com that looked amazing, so I decided to make a few minor changes and see what I could come up with. Since I am limiting dairy as much as possible, I went with almond milk instead of regular milk. I am pretty confident any non-dairy milk will work in this recipe. Here are a few pictures of the cooking process, followed below by the recipe.
Here is what you will need:
- 4 medium-sized cooked Russet potatoes, chopped or grated
- 10 eggs – 6 w/ yolks and 4 egg whites (discarding the yolks)
- 1/4 cup almond or rice milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, add the 6 whole eggs and the 4 egg whites. Whisk together.
3. In the same bowl with the eggs, add in the milk and spices. Stir together.
4. Place the potatoes and bacon in the bottom of a 7 x 11 inch baking pan. Pour the egg mixture evenly over top of the potatoes/bacon.
5. Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, longer if the middle is not cooked thoroughly.
The great thing about this bacon and potato quiche is that it’s gluten and dairy-free! Of course, you could always use regular milk instead of almond/rice milk, but at this point in my life I am trying to limit my dairy as much as possible. I was very happy with how delicious this dish turned out to be. It should feed about 4 people, or 3 really big eaters.